...Our Family...

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunday In Ethiopia----HAPPY EASTER

We are doing so well! We feel blessed to be here and are still loving this land and those we are traveling with. We are a bit tired but realize that the altitude is playing into this as is the 24 hours of sleep deprivation. No illnesses as of yet. Please pray that this continues! We are as impressed and in love with the coffee as we hoped to be and cant wait to purchase many pounds (40??) to bring home. We might as well, we're completely ruined!

Today we visited Entoto mountain to see the best view of the city and listen to a traditional service. The hike up the mountain was tough because of the altitude but we so enjoyed the view!  We then visited 3 different markets to purchase gifts, souviners, and traditional clothing. The Jacksons, Watsons, and Moffats arrived while we were gone and we finished the day with dinner at Zebra Grill. It was a wonderfully full day and kept my mind off of tomorrow.
 
Of course, we are all super excited to meet our kiddos tomorrow. I can't believe I just typed that word...TOMORROW! The only word that might make my heart leap higher is TODAY!! We got a new photo of Micah David today in the Christmas outfit we sent him. He is cuter than words can say! I have attached it and hope it sends!
 
We are also growing already in the 36 hours we have been here. I am so overwhelmed with God's great mercy and kindness to us. It's a good emotional (if this makes sense). The eyes of our hearts are being opened.
 
We are surrounded by joy and kindness but also poverty on a level that is unimaginable. Women carrying hungry babies, children begging everywhere with broken shoes or barefoot, the disabled. all deserving of love and a full belly and yet many of them left hungry for both.
 
Why were we chosen to live such a blessed, easy life when so many others were given hardships beyond understanding? Why do so many prosper and so many more suffer? I knew this was the reality I would face, but have come to realize that there is no preparing for it.
 
What offering can I give to my merciful God now that I know how much he has spared us from, even more, what He has spared our Micah David from in this life? I am filled with awe, humility, and gratefulness that is bringing me to tears often.
 
I am also surprised at the sadness I feel to take Micah David away from such a beautiful land and such amazing people. Ethiopia is his gorgeous home and I am more in love with this country than I could have ever imagined. To know that I will hold my son tomorrow, just one day after celebrating that my great God gave His son. What an amazing picture of grace that He has chosen to give to us after so many trials and tears.
 
I am in such awe of God's kindness to our family in all of these ways and so thankful for his mercy this Easter day.
 

6 comments:

Cindy Foote said...

Wonderful Post! Thank you for sharing! Have a blessed night. And enjoy meeting your son face to face tomorrow!!!! - Cindy Foote

Kari said...

We love you!!
Happy Easter...you will never forget this experience for as long as you live!! Easter in Ethiopia. Bringing Micah home!!
We can't wait to hear more...
Praying for Monday!!
xoxo

Debi said...

This is so cool to journey with you and hear your heart thoughts day by day. Rest well tonight. Can't wait to see you with Micah David tomorrow!!
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

The Stackler Clan said...

Kim,
I just sent you and Megan a long winded e-mail. I am thinking that you may not get it. It went something like . . . " I am so proud of you two, Meeting babies tomorrow! God is good, Peace in your heart . . . Can either one of you slip some vitamins in to Natty's care package? I am stressing out and can't help my boy" Have you ever been there?
If you can't manage the vitamins, don't sweat it, I will send them with the next group.

That is all.
Love you. Can't wait to see you on SATURDAY!!!!

Becky Lee Burk said...

Kim I can't stop thinking that by now you've met our Micah Moo and I NEED details!! I'm dying for you to post. I'm gonna go and check facebook. I can't wait!

Bethany Taylor said...

Oh friend! I am in tears as I think about the fact that You HELD MICAH DAVID TODAY!!!! You have finished well, and God is with you and Chad, Devon, and Micah! Girl, I can not wait to see those Gotcha Day photos, you better know I will be sobbing on the floor!