...Our Family...

Saturday, September 27, 2008

The CALL

So, I thought I would tell the story of "The Call" as its pretty funny.

Let me start by saying that we were told on Tuesday that this is NOT, I repeat, NOT our week to receive a referral. How did I respond, I burst into tears, called Chad, and then immediately went to Target for a latte and to let Devon play in the toy section! This is what we do when mommy is down so that he is distracted and doesn't parrot my mood. (I know I should really focus on getting CONTROL of the mood instead of trying to hide it. However, a good latte and some toy time does bring a smile to my face and helps me process the emotions screaming in my head and heart.) When we got home, I placed another phone call to the agency to discuss "expectations." (I have come to detest that word!)

Fast forward to Friday. So, any of you who know me know that I am a screamer, a cheerleader really! However, I have been down and out with strep all week. So, when the phone rang on Friday and I saw it was our adoption agency, I thought that Duni, our family coordinator and the program director, was simply returning my phone call. Here's how it played out from there...

Duni: Is Kimberly or Chad there?
Kim: This is Kim. Hi Duni! How are you?
Duni: Good Kim, how are you?
Kim: Well, I am not feeling too well right now but other than the strep, I'm ok.
Duni: Well, I hope this makes you feel better. This is your referral phone call:
Kim: WHAT?
Duni: You have a little baby boy!
Kim: SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! (increasing in volume with each HORRIBLE phrase ;0)
Duni: Do you really want me to shut up?
Kim: NO NO, I'm so sorry, that was awful of me. Please go on!
Duni: (LAUGHING) I LOVE this part of my job, especially when the parents are really surprised.
Kim: Well, I wouldn't have been so surprised if you all hadn't lied to me on Tuesday ;0)
Duni: Yeah, I know. We weren't sure his paperwork would come. He's your miracle baby, Kim.
Kim: (SOBBING) Duni, yes he is. He's our Ethiopian miracle.

That's how it happened. I am embarrassed still at telling her to "shut up!" I have bought some chocolates to send in the mail as a "thank you for putting up with me and not hanging up on me" offering!

Needless to say, it was a bit surreal and I was FLOORED.

I officially LOVE FRIDAYS!

Kim

3 comments:

Mindy said...

YEAH!!! Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys! Can't wait to meet our newest cousin.
Love, the Rahns

Melissa Juvinall said...

How fun, Kim! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Melissa Juvinall

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim! That was too funny! Yep! Referral calls/days seem to be like no other!!! LOL Ours was a bit hair ball...I laugh just remembering!
xoxo,
Amy L.
PS Ok! Now I'm going to listen to the call! :)