...Our Family...

Saturday, January 10, 2009

I Can Only Imagine

I never imagined my young life would be characterized by loss. But I can't tell you how many times I have heard "you've had your share." Tonight, my heart, my mind, my hands find themselves unable to pretend that I am not terrified, more like paralyzed by what has been and what might be. 

I never imagined...

I never imagined I'd watch my fiance bury is father; watch a family fall apart.

I never imagined I'd bury 4 grandparents in 4 years. 

I never imagined I would bury, my Daddy, horrifically and unexpectedly, at 23.

I never imagined having a child would be so hard, would take 4 years and be so painful.

And I never, ever imagined we'd bury Chad's baby sister, our heart, our Joy, Alana the day after my birthday when she was only 19. 

I never imagined I'd lose so much so young. Proverbs says it is good to bear the yolk in your youth. This yolk is so heavy to bear this evening. I am tired of a young life that has been defined by such loss, such pain, such sorrow.

Tonight, I am very aware of what I have lost out of fear of what I have yet to take hold. Only once in my life have I begged God for anything in such desperation and fear as I am this evening. I have found myself, again, begging for a child I have not held and do not know but LOVE to my core.

And yet, in all of this fear and sadness and sorrow, I can see His plan, His blessing, His love in ways I never imagined.

These are my stones in the Jordan River, the blessings I never imagined. These are His benefits to me.

I never imagined I would survive 2 brain tumors as a child without a visible scar.

I never imagined I would have a mother who could uplift beyond abuse and truly love an unexpected child with such ferocious protection and yet gentle care.

I never imagined God would replace a father who dug holes in my heart with a step-father who was made to fill them.

I never imagined I would find a man to love me at my most unlovable, a man who would stay.

I never imagined the rape of a woman I have never met could turn into such love in my heart for a child. I never imagined God could bless, could heal, could REDEEM out of such horrific cruelty and pain. 

I never imagined my heart could learn to love beyond sin and sadness and sorrow,  beyond itself on a rainy Saturday in March.

I never imagined that a child from Trenton could heal the wounds of an entire family.

And I never imagined that 3 years later my heart would stretch again, would tear and bleed and scar from a dream yet fulfilled, from a child so far away.

I never imagined I would LOVE so richly, so boldly, so painfully. 

And yet I realize, it is because I am loved so richly, so boldly, SO PAINFULLY that I can imagine LOVE at all...

3 comments:

Kari said...

Kim, there are no words!! This is a beautiful post of redemption, honesty, forgiveness & love!!! I'm blown away reading your heart!!
Thank you for your special friendship...we've never even met!! Praying for your precious son waiting for you with all his heart in Ethiopia!!

Sherry said...

Kim, I am flooded with tears as I read your post. No one should have to walk the pain you have walked through. And yet we serve an amazing REDEEMER who turns ashes to beauty. I am so blessed that I will get to witness that beauty the first time you hold your precious Micah. You are loved!!!! Sherry

Becky Lee Burk said...

Okay Kim... you really are a GREAT writer and I have to just say it again, suck an amazing prayer warrior. You really should write cards or something! That is your GIFT! I love you so much and I love doing our "spy work" together :) I can't wait for our get together with our handsome little men!!!