...Our Family...

Friday, July 10, 2009

Racism and Reactions

Today is a really sad day in our house. Micah and I (Devon was thankfully at camp) were verbally assaulted at a grocery store by an evil, angry man who took offense when I placed Micah on the belt to change carts. I don't want to go into details of what he said but I have to say I have never been called such awful, mean, evil things.

Then he called Micah, my sweet baby, the "N" word.

Nothing prepares you for this moment, the moment when you realize that someone hates your loving, kind, sweet child because of His beautiful GOD DESIGNED skin tone. I don't understand it; I never will.

My heart is broken because I know this is not the last time THAT WORD will ring in his ears. What a sad, sad day for us.

I reacted well, I think. I asked him to stop, told him I was sorry, told him I didn't believe I deserved his reaction, told him I would pray for him, then threatened to call the police. At that, he left us alone.

Why? Why is my son's skin so offensive? What do you say to a man filled with hatred at a 14 month old baby?

I don't know what to say but I know this makes me long for heaven, for a day when we will all see God's creation as it is-- beautiful yet fallen.

5 comments:

ethiHOPEia said...

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I pray that your reaction to him will help him to realize the hurtful things he said. May God's peace rule in your heart.

In Christian love,
Hilary Forrest

Debi said...

Hi Kim,
I am so sad that this happened to you and precious Micah. It is hard to fathom the anger in the hearts of some men that would lash out at innocent victims.
I pray that something that you said would touch and open his heart.
I pray God's powerful presence and grace over your beautiful family.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Steve and Megan said...

Thanks for standing strong Kim! I'm sure that it's hard to shake those words from your mind, but I'll be praying that God gives you peace of mind. I thank God that He has given you eyes to see the truth that there is beauty and diversity in the human race and the that He has broken down the dividing wall between ethnic groups to bring all peoples to himself into one body through Jesus. Thank God that He is at work in us and doesn't leave us in our helpless state! Let's pray that He would work in this man's heart to turn lies in to truth.

Rob and Candy said...

Kim, I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Praying that your reaction to this man will help him see Jesus.
candy

The Gang's Momma! said...

I'm so sorry for the harsh angry words that came spewing out of that man's mouth. Pray for him indeed. That kind of anger can only be a consequence of some hurts in his own life. Lies he's allowed himself to believe.

We had a similar instance at our first fundraising yard sale before Li'l Empress came home. I made my older kids go inside and thanked the man nicely for coming, but thanked him also for going. It put a pall over the day until I remembered how to pray for him.

It is a challenging road we chose, isn't it?! But you are a great mom and your advocacy for your child will be an impact not just on your boys but on the world around you! Good Job, MOM!